Letters to the editor
Polls and Comment
Library - an archive
Bibliography of EMU
The Euroland Economy
Professor Patrick Minford
This is a long list; clicking on a section heading below
will take you straight there
- Articles in Refereed Journals
- Invited Contributions to Books, Monographs
- Economic Commentary and Expository
Return to top Back to Patrick Minford's Home Page
- Substitution Effects, Speculation and Exchange Rate
Stability, Vol.3, of Studies in International Economics (general
editors, J. Bhagwati and J. Chipman), North-Holland, l978.
- Unemployment: Cause and Cure, (with D.H. Davies, M.J. Peel
and A. Sprague). Martin Robertson, Oxford, l983. 2nd Edition
(with above and P. Ashton), Basil Blackwell, Oxford, l985.
- Rational Expectations and the New Macroeconomics, (with D.A.
Peel), Martin Robertson, Oxford, l983.
- The Housing Morass - Regulation, Immobility and unemployment,
(with M.J. Peel and P. Ashton), Institute of Economic Affairs, l987, pp.
- Monetarism and Macroeconomics - contributions on the current
policy debate in the UK,editor, IEA readings, 26, l987.
- The Supply side revolution in Britain, Edward Elgar, 1991,
- Rational Expectations Macroeconomics: an introductory
handbook, Blackwell, 1992 (2nd edition of Rational Expectation
and the New Macroeconomics, with David Peel).
- The Cost of Europe, editor, Manchester University Press,
- Markets not Stakes - the Triumph of Capitalism
and the Stakeholder
Fallacy, Orion Publishing, pp 256
ARTICLES IN REFEREED JOURNALS
Return to top Back to Patrick Minford's Home Page
- 'Supply responses of Malawi Labour', unpublished l969; revised l975,
East African Economic Review, June l976.
- 'Textile Fibre Substitution and Relative Prices', Australian
Journal of Agricultural Economics, December 1975, pp. 175-96.
- 'Terminal Conditions as a Means of Ensuring Unique Solutions for
Rational Expectations Models with Forward Expectations', (with K.
Matthews and S. Marwaha), Economics Letters, 1979, pp. 117-120.
- 'The Classical Supply Hypothesis' (with D.A. Peel), Economics
Letters, 1979, pp. 229-33.
- 'A Rational Expectations Model of the UK under Floating
Exchange Rates', European Economic Review, 1980, pp. 189-219.
- 'Asset Acquisition - An Integrated Portfolio Approach
to Private Sector Expenditure and Financial Asset Accumulation',
(with K. Matthews), Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
November 1980, pp. 644-53.
- 'The Natural Rate Hypothesis and Rational Expectations
- A Critique of Some Recent Development', (with D.A. Peel), Oxford
Economic Papers, vol. 32, No. 1, March 1980, pp. 72-81.
- 'A Rational Expectations Model of the UK Under Fixed and
Floating Exchange Rates', in The State of Macroeconomics,
(eds. K. Brunner and A. Meltzer), Carnegie-Rochester Series on
Public Policy, l980, Vol. 12.
- 'The Effect on Macroeconomic Management in the UK of the
Transition from Fixed to Floating Rates', Journal of Economic
Studies, Vol. 7, No.2, 1980, pp. 69-86.
- 'The Role of Monetary Stabilisation Policy Under Rational
Expectations', (with D.A. Peel), Manchester School, March
1981, pp. 39-50.
- 'The Exchange Rate and Monetary Policy', Oxford Economic
Papers, Vol. 33, July 1981 Supplement, pp. 120-42, reprinted
in The Money Supply and the Exchange Rate, (eds. W. Eltis
and P. Sinclair), Oxford University Press, 1981, pp. 120-42.
- 'Dynamic Predictive Tests of a Rational Expectations Model
of the UK', British Review of Economic Issues, 3, 1981,
- 'The Political Theory of the Business cycle', (with D.A.
Peel), European Economic Review, 17 (1982), pp. 253-70.
- 'The New Cambridge Economic Policy: A Critique of Its
Prescriptions', Government and Opposition, 17 (1982), pp.
- 'The Micro Foundation of the Phillips Curve with Rational
Expectations', (with D.A. Peel), Oxford Economic Papers,Vol.
34, november l982, pp. 449-51.
- 'The Phillips Curve and Rational Expectations' (with D.A.
Peel), Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, 118:3, 1982, pp. 456-78.
- 'Labour Market Equilibrium in an Open Economy', Oxford
Economic Papers, November l983 Supplement on Unemployment,
Vol. 35(4), reprinted in The Causes of Unemployment, (eds.
C.A. Greenhalgh, P.R.G. Layard and A.J. Oswald), Oxford University
Press, l983, pp. 207-44.
- 'Dynamic Predictive Tests of a Model under adaptive and
Rational Expectations', (with C. Ioannidis and S. Marwaha), Economics
Letters, 11, 1983, pp. 115-21.
- 'On the Effectiveness of Automatic Stabilisers Under Rational
Expectations When There is Partial Current Information' (with
D.A. Peel), Economics Letters, 11, 1983, pp. 225-29.
- 'Some Implications of Partial Current Information Sets
in Macroeconomic Models Embodying Rational Expectations' (with
D.A. Peel), The Manchester School, September 1983, pp.
- 'The Liverpool Macroeconomic Model of the United Kingdon',
(with S. Marwaha, K. Matthews and A. Sprague), Economic
Vol. 1, No.1, January l984, pp 24-62.
- 'Testing for Unbiasedness and Efficiency Under Incomplete
Current Information', (with D.A. Peel), Bulletin of Economic
Research, May l984, Vol. 36, No.1, pp. 1-7.
- 'Response to Nickell', Economic Journal, 94, December
l984, pp. 954-59.
- 'Reply to Henry, Payne and Trinder', Oxford Economic
Papers, 37, 1985, pp. 339-43.
- 'Comments on Buiter's Guide to Public Sector Deficits',
Economic Policy, Vol. 6, No.3, Feb-March l986, pp. 32-34.
- 'A New Classical Econometric Model of the World Economy',
(with P.R. Agenor and E. Nowell), Economic Modelling, Vol.3,
No.3, 1986, pp. 154-176.
- 'Germany and the European Disease', (with J. Davis), Recherches
Economiques de Louvain, Vol. 52, Nos 3-4, (Symposium on Unemployment
in Europe, eds. Js. Muysken and C. de Neubourg), 1986, pp.373-398.
- 'Rational Expectations and Monetary Policy', Scottish
Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 33, No.4, Nov. l986, pp.
317-333, reprinted in Current Issues in Monetary Economics,
(eds. T. Bandyopadhyay and S. Ghatak), Wheatsheaf, 1990.
- 'When international coordination matters : an empirical
analysis', with (M. Canzoneri), Applied Economics, vol.
20, pp. 1137-1154, l988.
- 'Mrs. Thatcher's economic policies, l979 to l987', (with
K. Matthews), Economic Policy, Oct, l987,5, pp. 57-101.
- 'Interest Rates and Bond-financed Deficits in a Ricardian
Two-Party Democracy', Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, vol.
124, l988, pp. 387-402.
- 'The effects of housing distortions on unemployment',
(with P. Ashton and M. Peel), Oxford Economic Papers, Vol.
40, pp 322-345, 1988.
- 'Modelling the role of government deficits in developing
countries', (with A.A. Walters), in Economic Modelling,
- 'Comment' on 'Housing wages and UK Labour Markets' by
O. Bover, J. Muellbauer and A. Murphy, in Oxford Bulletin of
Economics and Statistics, 51 (2), 1989, pp. 150-153.
- 'Target Zones and Exchange Rate Management: A Stability
Analysis of the European Monetary System'(with Andrew Hughes Hallett),
Open Economies Review, 1, 1990, pp 175-200.
- Review article: 'Monetary Imperfection, regulation and
discretion', of Charles Goodhart, Money Information and
MIT Press, in Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 26, 1990,
- 'Ulysses and the Sirens: A Political Model of Credibility
in an Open Economy', in Private Behaviour and Government Policy
in Interdependent Economies, (ed.) A.S. Courakis and M.P.
Taylor, Oxford University Press, 1990, 337-355. Reprinted from
Greek Economic Review, 11,1, 1989, pp. 1-18.
- 'The Poverty Trap and the Laffer Curve - what can the
GHS tell us ?' (with Paul Ashton), Oxford Economic Papers,
43, 1991, pp. 245-279.
- 'The Path to Monetary Union in Europe' in The World
Economy, Vol. 16, No. 1, January 1993, pp. 17-27.
- 'The price of EMU revisited', in Greek Economic Review,
(with Anupam Rastogi and Andrew Hughes Hallett), Vol. 15, No.
1, 1993, pp 191-226.
- Review article: 'Has Labour Market Economics Achieved
a Synthesis?' Richard Layard,Richard Jackman and Steven Nickell
Unemployment and Europe's Unemployment Problem, Jacques
Dreze and Charles Bean in The Economic Journal, Vol.103,
July 1993, pp. 1050-1056.
- 'The Political Economy of the Exchange Rate Mechanism',
in Open Economies Review, 5, 1994, p.235-247. (Awarded
Kluwer prize for best OER article of 1994.)
- 'An Econometric Model of Merseyside: Validation and Policy
Simulations', (with Peter Stoney, Jonathan Riley and Bruce Webb),
Regional Studies Vol.28. No. 6, 1994, pp.563-575.
- 'Deregulation and Unemployment - The UK Experience', Swedish
Economic Policy Review, Vol.1 No. 1-2, 1994, Economic Council
of Sweden, pp.113-142.
- 'An Algorithm for the Solution of Non-Linear Forward Rational
Expectations Models with Current Partial Information', Economic
Modelling Vol. 11, No 3, July 1994, pp 351-358 (K Matthews, P
and S Blackman)
- 'The Quarterly Liverpool Model with Current Partial Information: An
Exercise in Forecasting',
Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 13, 1994, pp 507-518, (K Matthews, P
Minford and S Blackman)
- 'Other people's money: cash-in-advance microfoundations
for optimal currency areas', Journal of International Money
and Finance, Vol. 14, No. 3, June 1995, pp. 427-440.
- 'Time-Inconsistency, Democracy, and Optimal Contingent
Rules', Oxford Economic Papers, 47, 1995, pp.195-210.
- 'British inflation and unemployment in the 1970's a model-based
decomposition' (with Kent Matthews), Applied Economics,
28, 1996, pp 103-115.
- 'On comparing macroeconomic models using forecast encompassing
tests', (with M.J. Andrews and J. Riley), Oxford Bulletin of
Economics and Statistics, Vol. 58, No. 2, 1996, pp. 279-305.
- 'Trade, Technology and Labour Markets in the World Economy, 1970-90:
A Computable General Equilibrium
Analysis', (with Jonathan Riley and Eric Nowell), Journal of
Development Studies, Vol. 34, No. 2, December 1997, pp. 1-34.
INVITED CONTRIBUTIONS TO BOOKS, MONOGRAPHS
Return to top Back to Patrick Minford's Home Page
- 'A Model of Tax Incidence in Malawi', in Public Sector
Economics, (ed. H.W. Ord), University of Edinburgh, l970.
- 'A Model of UK Manufactured Exports and Export Prices',
(with John Hutton), Government Economic Service Paper,
No. 11, HMSO, l975.
- 'A Quarterly Econometric Model of World Trade and Prices,
l955-71', (with Michael Beenstock), Inflation in Open Economies
(eds. J.M. Parkin and G. Zis), Manchester University Press, 1976,
- 'The Behaviour of Export Prices of Manufactures - Comment',
in The Effects of Exchange Rate Adjustments (eds. P. Clarke,
D. Logue and R. Sweeney), US Department of Treasury, 1977, pp.
- 'Import Controls and Devaluation as Medium-Term Policies',
(with Roy Batchelor) in On How to Cope with Britain's Trade
Position, (ed. H. Corbet), Thames Essay No. 8, Trade Policy
Research Centre, 1977, pp. 44-72.
- 'The Costs of Variable Inflation' (with G. Hilliard),
in Contemporary Economic Analysis (eds. M. Artis and R.
Nobay), Croom-Helm, l978, pp. 109-39.
- 'Locomotives, Convoys or What ? - The International Adjustment
Problem', in The Political Economy of Tolerable Survival
(ed. M. Gaskin), Croom-Helm, 1981, pp. 47-53.
- 'Comments on Michael Foot's Paper', in Monetary Targets,
(eds. B. Griffiths and G. Wood), Macmillan, 1981, pp. 47-53.
- 'Rational Expectations in a Multilateral Macro-model',
(with C. Ioannidis and S. Marwaha), in Exchange Rates in Multicountry
Econometric Models, (eds. P. de Grauwe and T. Peeters), Macmillan,
1983, pp. 239-66.
- 'Incentives in the UK', Economic Incentives, eds.
B. Balassa and H. Giersch, Macmillan (For International Economic
Association), 1986,pp. 279-295.
- 'The Costs and Benefits of Coal Pit Closures', Public
Services Review, November 1984, reprinted in Debating Coal
Closures: Economic Calculation in the Coal Dispute l984/85,
(eds. D. Cooper and T. Hopper), Cambridge University Press, 1988.
- 'The Effects of American Policies - A New Classical Interpretation',
in International Economic Policy Coordination, (eds. Willem
H. Buiter and Richard C. Marston), Cambridge University Press,
1985, pp. 84-137.
- 'Rational expectations in a multilateral macro-model',
with C. Ioannidis and S. Marwaha), in P. de Grauwe and T. Peeters
(eds.) Macmillan,1983, reprinted in Essays in Honour of Karl
Brunner - papers from the Konstanz Seminar, ed. Manfred Neumann,
- 'Political Interdependence: does strategic behaviour pay?'
(with M.B. Canzoneri), in Issues of International Policy
eds. D. Hodgman and G. Wood, Macmillan, 1989.
- 'Comment on J. Frankel and R. Meese 'Are exchange rates
excessively volatile ?,' NBER March l987, Macroeconomic Conference
proceedings, ed. S. Fischer, MIT University Press, l987.
- 'Introduction', pp. 1-16, and 'Curing unemployment through
labour market competition', (with M. Beenstock), pp. 129-149,
in Monetarism and Macroeconomics, (ed. P. Minford), IEA,
- 'Comment on 'The labour market'', in The Performance
of the British Economy, (eds. R. Dornbusch and R. Layard),
OUP, l987, pp. 280-282.
- 'Comments on Gordon and on Holly and Smith', in Macro
and Micro Policies for More Growth and Employment, (ed H.
Giersch), J.C.B. Mohr, Tubingen, l987.
- 'Comment on Tanzi', in Fiscal Policy, Economic Adjustment,
and Financial Markets proceedings of IMF conference on Policy
Coordination, Milan, January, l988, (ed. Mario Monti), IMF, l989,
- 'Exchange-rate regimes and policy coordination', Blueprints
for Exchange Rate Management, (eds. Marcus Miller, Barry Eichengreen
and Richard Portes), CEPR, 1989, pp.207-237.
- 'Economic Growth in Industrialised Countries - problems
and opportunities', International Social Science Journal,
120, May 1989 pp 149-164, Basil Blackwell.
- 'A New Classical model of the labour market',in Modelling
the Labour Market, (ed. M. Beenstock) Chapman and Hall, 1988,
- 'Mrs. Thatcher's Economic Reform Programme', in Thatcherism,
(ed. R. Skidelsky), Chatto and Windus, l988, pp.93-106.
- 'The EMS - what is wrong with it ?', in The International
Monetary System and Economic Development, (eds. C. Drager
and L. Spath), Drager Foundation, l988.
- 'Wages and unemployment half a century on', Keynes
and Economic Policy (eds. W. Eltis and P. Sinclair), Macmillan,
- 'A labour-based theory of international trade', in Causes
of Changes in the Structure of International Trade 1960-85,
(eds. J. Black, and A.I. MacBean) , Macmillan Appeared as CEPR
working paper, no. 237, 1989, pp 196-239.
- 'Europe and the Supply Side', in A Supply Side Agenda
for Germany, (eds. G. Fels and G. Von Furstenberg), Springer-Verlag,
- 'A New Classical Policy Programme', (with A. Rastogi)
in A. Britton (ed.) Policymaking with Macro Models, Gower,
- 'Monetary policy in the UK under Mrs. Thatcher', Finanzmarket
und Portfolio Management, No. 4, Special Issue of Monetary
Policy, l988, pp. 41-46.
- 'The Path to Financial Integration in Europe', The
Completion of the Internal Market, (ed. Horst Siebert), J.C.B.
Mohr, l990, pp. 306-347.
- 'Exchange Rate Agreements as a Policy Regime: Their Performance
and Design Characteristics' (with Andrew Hughes Hallett), in Dynamic
Modelling and Control of National Economies, (selected papers
from the 6th IFAC Symposium), Pergamon Press, l989 pp 223-230.
- 'Ideology and Pragmatism in Economic Thatcherism', Ideas
and Politics in Modern Britain, (ed. J.C.D. Clark), Mamillan,
pp. 191-203, l990.
- 'Comment on Warwick, McKibbin and Sachs', in Macroeconomic
Policies in an Interdependent World, (eds. R. Bryant, D. Currie,
J. Frenkel, P. Masson and R. Portes), The Brookings Institution,
CEPR, IMF, l990, pp. 195-197
- 'Rational Expectations and Monetary Policy', in Current
Issues in Monetary Economics, (eds. T. Bandyopadhyay &
S. Ghatak), Harvester Wheatsheaf, London, 1990, pp. 233-252.
- 'Do Floating Exchange Rates Insulate ?', in Exchange
Rates and Open Economy Macroeconomics, (eds R. MacDonald and
M.P. Taylor), Blackwell, Oxford, 1990, pp. 275-294.
- 'Effects in the UK of EC Wages Proposals in the Social
Charter', Human Resources, (ed. Geraint Johnes), Oxford,
Vol. 12, No.2 1991, pp.20-24.
- 'The Poverty Trap after the Fowler Reforms' Improving
Incentives for the Low Paid, (eds. Alex Bowen and Ken Mayhew),
NEDO, London, p 121-139.
- 'Inflation and Monetary Policy', Oxford Review of Economic
Policy, Vol. 6, No. 4, 62-76. 1991
- Comment on Thomas Mayer, in Macroeconomics and Macroeconomic
Policy Issues (ed. T. Mayer and F. Spinelli), (Banca di Trento
e Bolzano, Trento, 1991) pp. 261-265.
- 'The Price of EMU', (with A Rastogi), in Britain and
EMU, (eds. R. Dornbusch and R. Layard), Centre for Economic
Performance, LSE, London 1990, 47-81.
- 'Europe and the Supply side',in The Art of Full Employment,
(ed. C. de Neubourg), Elsevier Science Publishers BV, 1991, pp
- 'Regional Policy and Market Forces: A Model and an Assessment',
(with Peter Stoney) in Reducing Regional Inequalities,
(eds. Alex Bowen and Ken Mayhew), NEDO Policy Issues Series, pp
- 'Comment' on John Gray's paper in The Moral Foundations
of Market Institutions (ed. John Gray), IEA Health and Welfare
Unit, pp 115-119, 1992.
- 'Introduction' to Undermining Innovation: Parallel
Trade in Prescription Medicines by M.L. Burstall and I.S.T.
Senior, IEA Health and Welfare Unit, Choice in Welfare No. 13,
pp 3-7. 1992
- 'ERM and EMU - survival costs and prospects', (with Anupam
Rastogi and Andrew Hughes Hallett) in Macroeconomic Policy
Coordination in Europe, (eds. Ray Barrell and John Whitley),
pp 35-60, NIESR/Sage, 1992.
- 'ERM and EMU - survival costs and prospects', (with Anupam
Rastogi and Andrew Hughes Hallett), in External Imbalances
and Policy Constraints in the 1990s, (eds. Chris Milner and
Nick Snowden), for the International Economics Study Group, Macmillan,
pp. 30-68, 1992.
- 'The United Kingdom', in Monetary Policy in Developed
Economies - Handbook of Comparative Economic Policies volume 3,
(eds. M. Fratianni and D. Salvatore), Greenwood, pp.405-432.
- 'Expectations and the Economy', in A Critique of Keynesian
Economics, (ed. Walter Allan), Macmillan, pp. 155-169.
- 'Reconstruction and the U.K. Postwar Welfare State: False
Start and New Beginning' in Postwar Economic Reconstruction
and Lessons for the East Today, (eds. R. Dornbusch, W. Nolling
and R. Layard), The MIT Press, chapter 5, pp.115-138, 1993.
- 'The European Monetary system: Achievements and Survival',
(with Andrew Hughes Hallett and Anupam Rastogi), in Evaluating
Policy Regimes - New Research in Empirial Macroeconomics,
(eds. Ralph C. Bryant, Peter Hooper and Catherine L. Mann), Brookings
Institution, Washington DC, 1993, pp. 617-671.
- 'The UK labour market: micro rigidities and macro obstructions',
(with Jonathan Riley), in The UK Labour Market: Comparative
aspects and institutional developments, (ed. Ray Barrell),
Cambridge, 1994, pp.258-272.
- 'Il mercato del lavoro nel Regno Unito: micro-rigidita
e macro-ostruzioni', (with Jonathan Riley), Revista Di Politica
Economica, SIPI, 1994, pp 359-380.
- The Price of EMU, Manchester Statistical Society,
1994, pp. 18.
- 'The UK Labour Market: Micro Rigidities and Macro Obstructions',
(with Jonathan Riley), Revista Di Politica Economica, Dec.
1993, pp. 341-360.
- Discussion of David Currie and John Whitley 'What Route
to European monetary integration ?' in European Monetary
(ed. David Cobham), Money, Macro and Finance Research Group Conference
Proceedings, MUP, pp.198-188.
- 'What price European Monetary Union ?', in The Economics
of the New Europe (ed. Nigel M. Healy), Routledge, pp. 124-139.
- 'Wales from the Supply Side: A Classical Model', Welsh
Economic Review, pp 65-71, 1995.
- 'The lessons of European monetary and exchange rate experience',
in Capital controls exchange rates and monetary policy in the
world economy, (ed. Sebastian Edwards), pp.93-118.
- 'Public spending: A twenty-year plan for reform'
(with Paul Ashton), Centre for Policy Studies, London, pp. 27.
- 'The Stability of Broad and Narrow Money in the Context
of UK Monetary Policy', The Review of Policy Studies, Vol.
1, No. 5, Autumn 1995, pp. 35-57.
- 'What can governments in Western Europe do to improve
locational advantage?', Locational competition in the World
Economy, (ed. Horst Siebert), J.C.B. Mohr (Paul Siebeck) Tubingen,
1995, pp. 235-256.
- 'The New Classical Economics' and 'Introduction: the Causes
of Unemployment', in Exploring Macroeconomics: An introduction
to theory and policy through selected readings, (ed. R. Ayres),
Greenwich University Press, 1996, pp 259-271 & 319-325.
- 'Unemployment in the OECD and Its Remedies' Fighting
Europe's Unemployment in the 1990s, (ed. Herbert Giersch),
Springer 1996, pp 45-69.
- 'The Conflict between British Economic Liberalism and
Continental Statism', Britain's European Question: The Issues
for Ireland, (ed. Paul Gillespie), Institute of European Affairs,
- 'Supply-side Economics', International Encyclopedia
of Business and Management, Vol. 5, Thompson Business Press,
London, 1996, pp. 4728-4740.
- 'The Economic and Political Context', in Reform of
University Funding, (ed. Stuart Sexton), IPSET Education Unit,
- Britain and Europe: The Balance Sheet, Centre for
European Studies and European Business Review, MCB University
Press, 1996, pp. 38.
- 'The Price of Monetary Unification', in The Eurosceptical
Reader, (ed. Martin Holmes), Macmillan Press Limited, 1996,
- 'Unemployment in the OECD and its remedies', Unemployment
Policy: government options for the labour market, CEPR/Cambridge,
1997, pp 501-543.
- 'La nouvelle macroeconomiie classique', La Pennsee
Economique Moderne, eds. B. Snowden, H. Vane, P. Wynarczyk,
Ediscience International, Paris, pp. 209-249.
- 'Globalisierung der Okonomie: Zerstorung oder kreativer
Prozeb ?, Grenzen Los ? Jedes System braucht Grenzen - aber
wie durchlassig mussen diese sein ?, Ernst Ulrich von Weizsacker
(ed), Birkauser, pp. 40-50.
- 'Rational Expectations, Partial current Information and
Macroeconoic Forecasting', (with KGP Matthews, Jon Riley and Simon
Blackman), presented to the International Symposium of Forecasting,
ECONOMIC COMMENTARY AND EXPOSITORY
Return to top Back to Patrick Minford's Home Page
- 'Growing Without Inflation', Ditchley Journal,
- 'North Sea Oil and the British Economy', The Banker,
- Forecasts in The Guardian, 14.3.78 and 28.10.78.
- Articles in The Guardian, 5.1.78, and The Times,
18.4.78, 26.5.78, and 9.9.78.
- 'A Return to Sound Money ?', The Banker, July l979.
- 'Macroeconomic Controls on Government', in The Taming
of Government, (ed. A. Seldon), Institute of Economic Affairs,
1979, pp. 45-66.
- 'The International Repercussions of Rising Oil Prices',
OPEC Review, 1980.
- Forecast articles (quarterly) in The Daily Telegraph
from November l980 to February l985.
- Periodic (usually fortnightly) City column, Daily Telegraph
from autumn 1986.
- Evidence given to Treasury and Civil Service Committee,
Memorandum, in Memoranda on Monetary Policy, HMSO l980, Oral Evidence
given in July l980 in Committee's Third Report, Vol. II
(Minutes of Evidence, HMSO, pp. 8-40).
- 'The Economic Outlook', (with K. Matthews), March l980,
processed University of Liverpool.
- 'The Economic Outlook', (with C. Ioannidis, K. Matthews
and S. Marwaha), November l980, processed, University of Liverpool.
- 'Government Borrowing Fans Inflation', Journal of Economic
Affairs, 1:1, 1980, pp. 11-15.
- 'Monetarism, Inflation and Economic Policy', in Is
Monetarism Enough ? (ed. A. Seldon), Institute of Economic
Affairs, 1980, pp. 1-31.
- 'The Nature and Purpose of UK Macroeconomic Models', Three
Banks Review, March 1980, pp. 3-26.
- The Economic Outlook, (with other members of the Liverpool
Research Group in Macroeconomics) March l981 and June 1981.
- Outlook and policy articles in Quarterly Economic Bulletin
(of Liverpool Research Group in Macroeconomics) since October
- 'Is the Government's Economic Strategy on Course ?', (with
D.A. Peel), Lloyds Bank Review, April 1981, pp. 1-19.
- 'Rejoinder', Journal of Economic Affairs, 2, 1982,
- 'Trade Unions Destroy a Million Jobs', Journal of Economic
Affairs, Vol. 2, January l983, pp. 73-9.
- 'Compulsory Arbitration Procedures and Incomes Policy'
(with D.A. Peel), Three Banks Review, March l983, pp. 3-16.
- 'Agenda for Liberal Conservatism', Journal of Economic
Affairs, Vol. 3, No.2, January l983, pp. 94-7.
- 'Business Prospect', Management Today, December
- 'Business Prospect', Management Today, December
- 'State Expenditure: A Study in Waste', Economic Affairs,
4:3, April-June l984, Special Supplement, pp. i-xix.
- 'High Unemployment is Not Permanent', Economic Affairs,
Vol. 4, No. 4, July - September 1984, pp. 17-23.
- 'What Sort of Policy for Unemployment ?', Economics,
Vol. XX, Part 3, No. 87, Autumn l984, pp. 98-100.
- 'The New Classical Economics', Economic Affairs,
Vol.5, No.2, January-March l985, pp. 6-11.
- 'Whither Monetarism', Centre for Policy Studies Symposium
on the Chancellor's Mansion House Speech, December l985, (with
E. Bruce-Gardyne and T. Congdon), CPS, l985.
- Evidence on Selective Employment Measures to House of
Commons Select Committee on Employment, Memoranda of Evidence,
February l986, HMSO.
- 'Housing Reform to Create Jobs' (with P. Ashton and M.
Peel), Economic Affairs, Vol.6, No.3, Feb-March l986, pp.
- 'From Macro to Micro via Rational Expectations' in The
Unfinished Agenda, - Essays on the political economy of
government policy in honour of Arthur Seldon, (ed. Martin
J. Anderson), Institute of Economic Affairs, 1986, pp.105-114.
- 'Expectations and the Economy', in Keynes' General
Theory: Fifty Years On, Hobart paperback 24, Institute of
Economic Affairs, 1986, pp. 101-118.
- 'The role of the social services, a view from the New
Right', in The State or The Market - Politics and Welfare in
Contemporary Britain, (ed. M. Loney), Sage, l987, pp.70-83.
- 'A tax-based incomes policy ?' in Policies Towards
Incomes and Unemployment, (ed. G. Brand), Employment Institute,
l987, pp. 36-41.
- 'Achieving public objectives with less money', in Restraining
Leviathan - Small Government in Practice, (ed. M. Jones),
Centre for Independent Studies, Sydney, l987, pp. 67-95.
- Unemployment - Cause and Cure, with D. Davies,
M. Peel, A. Sprague, chapter 1, first edition, reprinted in The
Economic Revival of Modern Britain - the Debate between Left and
Right, (eds. D. Coates and J. Hillard), Edward Elgar, l987.
- 'La politique economique de Margaret Thatcher, l976-86',
in Politique Etrangere, Institut Francais des relations
internationales, 4, Hiver, l986.
- 'An economy in a crisis ? An interview with Professor
Patrick Minford', Revue Francaise de Civilisation Britannique,
4, no. 3, pp. 131-142, l987.
- 'Outlook after the Budget', Fiscal Studies, Vol.9
May l988, pp. 30-38.
- 'Is there a balance of payments crisis ?', Economic
Review, 5, no.3, Jan. l988, pp.36-38.
- 'Labour supply responses and the effects of tax rates',
(with P. Ashton) in Liverpool Quarterly Economic Bulletin,
9, no.1, March l988, pp. 28-35.
- 'Government Expenditure: the Implications for the Private
Sector', in Public Expenditure and the Private Sector,
(eds. M. Mulreany and L. St. John Devlin), l988, Insitute of Public
Administration, Dublin, pp. 35-66.
- 'How to Depoliticise Local Government', Economic Affairs,
October/November l988, pp. 12-16.
- 'A policy for the National Health Service, Part I', Economic
Affairs, Vol. 9, No. 1, October/November, 1988, pp. 21-28.
- 'A Monetarist's Agenda', IEA Inquiry, IEA, pp.15,l988
- 'Overheating ? What Overheating ?, First Magazine,
vol. 2, no. 2, l988, p.32.
- 'A policy for the National Health Service, Part II', Economic
Affairs, Vol. 9, No.2, December/January l989, pp. 23-26
- European Monetary Union and 1992, The Selsdon Group,
- October l989.
- Merseyside Deserves a Better Future , Aims of Industry,
- pp.15, May l990.
- 'Corporatism, the Natural Rate and Productivity', in
Trade Unions and the Economy: Into the l990s, Papers and proceedings
of a Seminar, (ed. John Philpott), Employment Institute, l990,
- 'The Delors Fiasco', The International Economy,
April/May l990, pp. 60-64.
- 'The Labour market: False start, strong follow through
and now for the finish', The State of the Economy, IEA,
- 'EMU: the Delors Plan or Competing Currencies ?', European
Freedom Review, Vol. 2, No. 1 Winter l990, pp 13-21.
- 'Britain and the European Union: the Broader Issues',
Policy, Vol. 6, No. 1, Autumn l990, Centre for Independent
Studies, Sydney, pp. 36-40.
- 'How Fair is the Community Charge or Poll Tax ?', Economic
Affairs, Vol. 10 No. 5, June/July l990, pp. 45-46, IEA.
- 'The New Revolution', Financial Mail, July 20th
l990, Times Media Publication, South Africa, pp. 22-24.
- 'The British Economy: Back to the Future ?, British
Society in the 1990s, (ed. Alistair B. Cooke), Conservative
Political Centre, London, pp.34-40, l990.
- Britain and European Monetary Union, The Coopers
and Lybrand Deloitte Lecture 1991, Cardiff Business School, pp
- 'The Politics of Change', Capital Account, Issue
13, 1991, 18-22.
- 'Merseyside Infrastructure - A Model and its application
to transport infrastructure', (with Peter Stoney), Merseyside
Economic and Business Prospect, 6,1, 1991, 48-56.
- Labour's Economic Policies: how much will they cost
the economy ? (with B. Greenwood and P. Ashton), Aims of Industry,
London 1991, pp. 20.
- 'Good Monetary policy is enough', Co-ordinating pay
bargaining, Conference Report from the Industrial Relations
Services, London, 1991, p. 17-25.
- 'The Shackles of Monetary Union', Forward, Autumn
1991, pp 6-7.
- 'The Risk of Continental Corporatism' QED, October
1991, p. 14.
- 'Why we should leave the ERM', London Business School
Economic Outlook, 1991-1995, Gower Publishing, Volume 16
No.5, pp 31-34, February 1992.
- 'Comment' on contributions to a conference on Economic
cooperation in globalizing financial markets (eds. Prof. C.J.
Oort, Dr. C.J.M. Kool, Dr. A.P. van Veen), Nederlands Instituut
voor het Banken Effectenbedrijf, no. 20, 1992, pp 49-59.
- 'The Economy: in better shape than you think', Accountancy,
March 1992, pp. 36-37.
- 'Reflections post Maastricht', Economic Affairs,
Volume 12, No. 2, February 1992, pp 48-49.
- 'Time to Come of Age', Finance North, November
1992, p. 58.
- 'How to avoid Policy Errors which would blight Medium
and Long-Term Growth' in The State of the Economy
1993, IEA, (ed. Colin Robinson), pp. 49-59, 1993.
- 'The Western European Economy', in Proceedings of Dataquest
European Copier Conference 1993, pp. 2-5, 1993
- 'Manufacturing cannot revive until the recession ends'
in The House Magazine, No. 590, Vol. 18, p. 18, April 1993.
- 'Comment - The Strong Case for Ditching Maastricht', in
Securities and Investment Review, May 1993, No. 10, page
- 'Why Long-Term Pessimism is Wrong', in Parliamentary
Brief, vol. 2, No. 1, July 1993, pp. 5-8.
- 'What causes the prosperity of cities ?', in conference
proceedings, Cities '98 - The conclusions, May 1993, pp.
- 'Comment - A Better Way for Exchange Rates', in Securities
and Investment Review, September 1993, No. 13, page 1.
- 'Keeping Britain Competitive', Parliamentary Brief,
Vol. 2 No. 4, December 1993, pp 15-16.
- Comment Securities and Investment Review, December
- 'Western European Economy', in Conference Proceedings
Dataquest Perspective, December 1993, pp. 3-5.
- 'World Competition and the UK', in The Royal Magazine,
Winter 1993/94, pp. 6-7.
- 'Anglo-Saxon Recovery and Cheap Money', Securities
and Investment Review, March 1994, No. 19, p.1.
- 'The Minford View', Market Monitor, Spring 1994.1
- 'Must wages fall ?', Quarterly Enterprise Digest,
May 1994, p.3.
- 'Comment' Securities and Investment Review, June
1994, No. 22, p1.
- 'The Recovery Needs Tax Cuts', Parliamentary Brief,Vol.
2, No. 9, June/July 1994, pp.29-30.
- 'Man of the Markets', Corporate Location, May-June
1994, pp. 20-22.
- 'A 20p Tax Rate is well Within our Grasp', Forward,
No. 9, Autumn 1994, pp.8-9.
- 'Still a Deflationary World', Securities and Investment
Review, October 1994, No. 25, p.1.
- 'Why Mr. Brown still has some learning to do', Parliamentary
Brief, Vol.3, No.2, November 1994, pp.30-32.
- 'Introducing Professor Patrick Minford', MMC News,
Autumn 1994, pp.6-8.
- 'Affirmation' Threat to Free Enterprise, December
1994, pp. 8.
- 'Emerging Markets, Unemployment and Inflation', Economic
Affairs, Vol. 15, No.1, Winter 1994, pp.40-45.
- 'Reforming Welfare', Freedom Today, Vol. 19, No.
6, December 1994 p.7.
- 'Comment', Securities and Investment Review, No.
28 January 1995, p.2.
- 'The right lane for the way forward', Management Today,
March 1995, pp 34-37.
- 'How good a Chancellor is Kenneth Clarke ?', Economic
Review, Vol. 12, No.3, Feb. 1995.
- 'The Economy can be let off the leash', Securities
and Investment Review, April 1995, p.2.
- 'Making Welfare Work But Not Costing It', Parliamentary
Brief, Vol. 3, No. 8, June 1995, pp. 23-24.
- 'The Social Chapter: Blair's sell-out to the left',
Securities and Investment Review, No. 34 July/August 1995,
- 'Monetary Union - A Dangerous Experiment', The Lantern,
July 1995, Vol. 11, No.4; reprinted as British Housewives' League
Publications, July 1996, pp. 11.
- 'Doers and thinkers', Corporate Location, May,
June 1995, p. 102.
- 'Cut Taxes and Interest Rates', Securities and Investment
Review, November 1995, No. 37, p.5.
- 'Single currency = higher unemployment', The European
Journal, Vol. 3, No. 2, November 1995, p11.
- 'Life without the State in your pocket', Parliamentary
Brief, January 1996 Vol. 4, No. 4 pp.18-20.
- 'The EMU Stability Pact' The European Journal,
January 1996, p.2.
- 'The Surprising British Economy: Room for Expansion?',
Economic Affairs, Spring 1996, Vol.16,No. 2, pp.12-17.
- 'Budget strategy Could lose us the election', Forward,
No. 13, 1996, pp 6-7.
- 'The M4 Fallacy' Securities and Investment Review,
April 1996, No. 42, p.2.
- Written and Oral Evidence given to Select Committee on
The European Communities, An EMU of 'Ins' and 'Outs', House
of Lords 11th Report Vol. II Evidence, 1996, p.57-64.
- 'Is Full Employment Attainable', Employment Policy
Institute Economic Report, Vol.10, No. 7, June 1996, p2.
- 'Deal of Understanding after the Beef War', The European
Journal, Vol.3, No. 9, 1996, pp. 10.11.
- 'Leave the Business Cycle Alone', Securities and Investment
Review, July 1996, No. 45 p.2,
- 'Notes on Monetary Union in Europe', Economic Affairs,
Vol. 16, No. 3, 1996, p. 9-17.
- 'A New deal with the EU', The European Journal,
June 1996, p10.
- 'Global Free Trade: The General Interest Case', New
Political Economy, Vol.1, No.1, 1996, pp.97-101.
- 'Global Free Trade', New Political Economy, Vol.
1, No.1, 1996, pp.97-101.
- 'The Single Currency', Robson Rhodes - Review 1996,
- 'Federal Farewell', The Times Higher Education Supplement,
No. 1251, October 1996, pp.18-19.
- 'Inflation and the pound', in Market Monitor, Spring
1997, BWD Resnburg, p. IV.
- 'Euro Games of Convergence', in The European Journal,
February 1997, p. 15.
- 'Why not a single currency', in Economic Review,
Vol 14. No. 4, April 1997, pp. 4-7.
- 'The 1996 Budget', Minutes of Evidence and Appendices
together with the Minutes of Evidence, Treasury Committee, Session
1996-97, Third Report.
- 'Emu for and against', Global Challenges - Europe's
Reponse, The 46th Konigswinter Conference, 1996, St. Catherine's
College, Cambridge, pp. 22-25.
- 'Rolling back the State: a proposals for reforming public
spending', (with Paul Ashton) Economics and Business Education,
Autumn 1996, Vol. IV, Part 3, pp.103-105.
- Regular articles and commentary in Liverpool Investment
Letter (opening section), Merseyside Business Prospect,
North Wales and Cheshire Business Prospect, Hilton Malcolm
Economic Review, all published by Liverpool Research Group
Return to top Back to Patrick Minford's Home Page
- R.J. Herring and R.C. Marston,National Monetary Policies
and International Financial Markets, North-Holland, in Manchester
School, 1977, pp. 312-3.
- S. Howson and D. Winch, The Economic Advisory Council
1930-39, Cambridge 1977, in Business History, 21:2,
- C.P. Kindleberger, Manias, Panics and Crashes,
Macmillan, l978 in Economic Journal, 1979, p.947.
- K. Cuthbertson, Macroeconomic Policy,Macmillan,
l979, in The World Economy, June l980, p.146.
- S. Brittan, How to End the Monetarist Controversy,
Institute of Economic Affairs, l981, in The Banker, l981.
- R. Barro, Money, Expectations and Business Cycles,
Academic Press, in Economic Journal, March l982, pp.188-9.
- A. Tylecote, The Causes of the Present Inflation,
Macmillan, l981, in The Banker, l981.
- R. Coghlan, Money, Credit and the Economy, Allen
and Unwin, l981, in Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
l982, pp. 425-6.
- B. Balassa, The Newly Industrialising Countries in
the World Economy, in Journal of Development Studies,
19, 1983, pp. 253-4.
- W. Godley and F. Cripps, Macroeconomics, Oxford
University Press/Fontana, in The Daily Telegraph, 27 June
- P. de Grauwe, Macroeconomic Theory for the Open Economy,
in Economic Journal, 94, June 1984, pp. 401-3.
- J. Bhandari, Exchange Rate Determination and Adjustment,
in Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, August l984, pp.
- S. Brittan, The Role and Limits of Government: Essays
in Political Economy, in Economic Journal, 94, September
l984, pp 651-2.
- T.W. Wilson, Inflation, Unemployment and the Market,
in The Times Literary Supplement, 12 July l985.
- D. Vines, J. Maciejowski and J.E. Meade, Stagflation,
Volume 2: Demand Management, in Journal of Economic Studies,
12(3), 1985; entitled 'Review article - Demand Management - an
- F. Hahn, Equilibrium and Macroeconomics, in Economica,
- Vito Tanzi (ed.), Taxation, Inflation and Interest
Rates, International Monetary Fund, and Ignazio Visco,
in Rising Inflation, North-Holland in Economic Affairs,
April - May l986, Vol. 6, No.4, p.49.
- Francesco Forte and Alan Peacock (eds.), Public Expenditure
and Government Growth, Basil Blackwell, in The World Economy,
Vol. 9, No.2, June l986, pp. 215-16.
- Hyman P. Minsky, Stabilising an Unstable Economy,
Yale University Press, l986, in The World Economy, Vol.
10,No.1, March l987, pp. 103-104.
- Michael Darby, James R. Lothian et al. The International
Transmission of Inflation, NBER, University of Chicago Press,
l983; David Currie (ed.), Advances in Monetary Economics,
Croom Helm, l985; A Ando, H. Eguchi, et al (eds.) Monetary
Policy in our Times, MIT Press, l985; and V.E. Argy and J.W.
Neville (eds.), Inflation and Unemployment, Allen and Unwin,
l985, review in Economic Affairs, Vol. 7, No.2, l987, pp. 24-25,
entitled 'Economists can Agree on Money and Inflation'.
- O. Blanchard, R. Dornbusch and R. Layard (eds.), Restoring
Europe's prosperity: Macroeconomic papers from the Centre for
European Policy Studies, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., l986,
in Economica, 215, August l987.
- H. Pesaran, Rational Expectations, CUP, l988, in
- C.R. Bean and P.R.G. Layard and S.J. Nickell, The Rise
of Unemployment, Blackwell, l987, in Economica, vol.
55, pp. 417-432.
- William H. Buiter, Macroeconomic Theory and Stabilization
Policy, Manchester University Press, in The Manchester
School, vol LVIII No. 3, l990 pp 302-304.
- Robert M. Solow, The Labour Market as a Social Institution,
Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1990, xviii+116; and Christopher A. Pissarides,
Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, Basil Blackwell, Oxford,
1990, xviii+173; and Ian M. MacDonald, Inflation and Unemployment:
Macroeconomics with a Range of Equilibria, Basil Blackwell,
1990, pp. 145 in The Economic Journal, Vol. 101, No. 407,
- Kevin D. Hooper, The New Classical Macroeconomics
and Christopher Huhne, Real World Economics, in Economic
Affairs, Vol. 11, No. 4, 1991.
- R. Dornbusch and M. Draghi, Public Debt Management:
Thoery and History, in Economica, 1991, xix + 354pp.
- Nigel Lawson, The View from No. 11: Memoirs
of a Tory Radical, in Economic Affairs, Vol. 13 No.
3, April 1993, pp. 36-37.
- Richard Layard, Richard Jackman and Steven Nickell Unemployment
and Europe's Unemployment Problem, Jacques Dreze and Charles
Bean in The Economic Journal, Vol. 103, July 1993, pp.
- A. Britton, Macroeconomic Policy in Britain 1974-87,
in Economica, Vol. 61, No. 241, February 1994,
- A.D. Smith, International Financial Markets: The Performance
of Britain and its Rivals, in The World Economy, Vol.
17, No.1 Jan 1994, pp. 103-104.
- Peter Newman, Murray Milgate and John Eatwell, The
New Palgrave Dictionary of Money and Finance, 1992, in Journal
of Economic Studies, Vol.21 No. 2, pp. 69-71.
- Keith Cowling and Roger Sugden, Beyond Capitalism:
Towards a New World Order, Pinter Publishers, London 1994,
195pp in Economica Vol. 62, No. 246.
- Will Hutton, The State We're In in Management
Today, March 1995, pp 34-36.
- Samuel Brittan, Capitalism with a human face, in
International Affairs, Vol. 71, No. 3, July 1995 pp.610-11.
- David G. Blanchflower and Andrew Oswald, The Wage Curve,
in Economic Affairs, Vol. 16, No. 1, Winter 1995, pp.44-45.
- Roger E. Backhouse, Interpreting Macroeconomics: explorations
in the History of Macroeconomic thought and Peter B. Kenen,
Understanding Interdependence The Macroeconomic of The Open
Economy in 'Warts, test rejections and all', The Times
Higher Education Supplement, January 1996 No. 1212, p.23
- Phillippe van Parijs, Real freedom for all: what (if
anything) can justify capitalism ? in International Affairs,
Vol. 72, No. 1, 1996, pp 176-176.
- Toshiaki Tachibanaki, Labour Market and Economic Performance:
Europe, Japan and the USA, in The Economic Journal,
Vol. 106, No. 436, 1996, pp 724-725.
- Sir Alec Cairncross, Economic Ideas and Government
Policy, Contributions to Contemporary Economic History, in
'The Rigours of Sir Alec', The Times Higher Education Supplement,
No. 1251 October 1996, p.28.